COVID-19 Update: All offices visits will now require a scheduled appointment. Please contact us to schedule an appointment.

Frequently Asked Insurance Questions

We are one of the largest and most reputable insurance brokerages in Alberta. We offer autohomecommercialgroup, and recreational insurance and will work to find the best rates available from reputable insurance companies.

Available Payment plans are: 

  • Full Pay
  • Installments
  • Automatic Monthly Withdrawals. 

Credit Card payments are also available for Full Pay and Installment plans.

All vehicles older than 12 years require a mechanical inspection. Our auto insurance brokers will answer any questions you have about the requirements needed to ensure your eligibility.

If you are in a car accident, contact the police immediately if there are injuries, if you suspect the other party may be guilty of a Criminal Code offence such as drunk driving, if there are injuries or damages over $2,000.00.

For each involved party obtain:

  • Names & addresses
  • Driver’s license numbers
  • Phone numbers
  • Insurance company name and policy number
  • Vehicle information
  • We recommend that you draw a brief sketch of the accident.
  • Obtain names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all witnesses.
  • Do not discuss the facts of the accident with anyone except the police and your auto insurance company’s claims representative. DO NOT ADMIT FAULT.

During regular business hours, please contact our office at 780-436-7880 to report all claims. For after-hours emergency claims, please call your insurance company’s claims representative: (View Emergency claims numbers).

Collision coverage insures you against loss or damage to your automobile caused by a collision with another object or if it is upset or overturned.

Comprehensive coverage insures you against losses other than collision, such as fire, theft, glass breakage, windstorm, hail, tornado vandalism and with most companies, damage caused by animals.

To lower the premium for your auto insurance coverage, ask your insurance broker about the following:

  • Increasing your deductibles—your premium will decrease if you are willing to pay higher deductibles.
  • Bundling your insurance – insure your home, condo, and recreational vehicle with the same insurance company. 
  • Installing a system in your vehicle to prevent theft

When insuring a new driver, encourage them to think about the serious responsibilities that come with driving. Some crucial issues to discuss are:

  • Inexperience
  • Inattention
  • Speeding & Tailgating
  • Not wearing seatbelts
  • Driver’s training
  • Not allowing others to drive the vehicle while in your care
  • Slow down and take extra caution when driving through parking lots.

Remember, as an owner of a vehicle, any person allowed to drive your vehicle will affect you and your insurance policy. For questions about your auto insurance coverage in Edmonton, speak to a broker today.

Glass prices are always changing and are generally higher on newer vehicles. Rain or temperature sensors, built-in antennas, defrosters, sunroofs can make glass expensive to replace. It is a good idea to check with several glass shops to determine the cost to replace ALL the glass on your vehicle, including sunroofs.

Glass coverage can be purchased on your car insurance policy, but it can be costly and with a $250.00 Deductible or higher, it may not be cost-efficient.

MBS Insurance offers low-cost glass coverage through AMI Auto Glass. AMI Auto Glass provides All Perils coverage (excluding collision or upset), with a $50.00 Deductible for replacement, ALL glass.

To reduce the rates you pay for homeowners insurance in Edmonton, speak to your broker about the following:

  • Increasing your deductibles
  • Insuring your automobiles with the same insurance company
  • Installing a security alarm system in your home for added protection

Review your policy annually. Any significant changes, such as buying a new house or automobile, or starting up a home-based business, are causes for taking another look at your current insurance protection. If you have remodelled or made other significant home improvements, you will need to adjust your policy to ensure you are adequately insured.

Valuable items, including jewelry, furs, silverware, and cameras, are covered under the property policy as part of the contents of the home. However, coverage for these items is usually limited to a specific dollar amount. They are covered for the insured perils of the policy and are subject to a dollar limitation of that policy. These limits vary from insurance company to insurance company, with some limiting coverage on bicycles, while others do not. We recommend you add a personal articles floater to your existing policy for added coverage.

If you are looking for more information about water damage covered in your house insurance policy in Edmonton, speak to your insurance broker. At the low end of the scale, water damage caused by water overflow from the plumbing system, water from burst pipes, and frozen pipes could be covered, but not damage caused by continuous seepage, etc. Because this peril can cause incredibly significant and costly damage to your home, you must understand what your policy covers and what it does not.

When municipal sewer systems become backed-up, where does the water and sewage go? Well, unfortunately, it can end up in your electronics-laden basement. It can rush back up into the home and could destroy anything it encounters. Finished basement or not, the cleanup and repair after a sewer back up can be costly and time-consuming. The best way to minimize the potential for sewer backup in your basement is to install a sewer backwater valve. Click here for more information.

Most building settlements are on Guaranteed Replacement cost, and many policies settle contents on a Replacement Cost basis. If you choose to settle on a cash basis, the settlement will operate based on depreciated value. For more information about your Edmonton home insurance policy, speak with your broker today.

Tenant insurance is especially important if for no other reason than the damage you could very easily cause to your apartment (and other ones too) from a kitchen fire or overflow of water from your sink. Like other homeowner policies, a tenant’s insurance policy not only protects your belongings but also provides protection against damage you may cause to others.

Useful Links

Alberta Automobile Insurance Rate Board

Alberta Finance and Enterprise

Superintendent of Insurance