The flooding that many Edmontonians experienced last April made painfully clear, no one is totally safe from the potential damage that floods can cause. However, we can take preventive measures to ensure we’re prepared if they do happen. At MBS Insurance Brokers Ltd., we’d like to help everyone in Edmonton prepare for the worst, even if we’re all hoping for the best.
What are some common reasons houses flood?
There are a lot of different ways that water can find a path into your home—and they don’t all require unusual amounts of rain. Something as simple as your yard, if it’s not properly graded and maintained, can lead to flooding. A few common reasons homes flood include:
- Backed up sewers in homes that have not installed a mainline backwater valve
- Failed sump pumps
- Frozen pipes that crack in the winter
- Improperly graded yards that direct water towards rather than away from your home
- Clogged eavestroughs and/or downspouts that cause water to pour over the side and enter your home via your house’s foundation
- Rising waters of lakes, rivers and other bodies of water, particularly during periods of rapid snowmelt
Of course, the specific risks of flooding to your home will vary depending on your situation. Consult an expert to find out what risks your house is particularly susceptible to. Depending on the area you live in, you may not be able to purchase insurance to protect your house.
Is insurance available that will cover me in case of a flood?
There are insurance policies that can cover you from damages depending on your location. In a worst-case scenario, flooding can cause thousands of dollars in damage. Not only is water a threat to the possessions in your home, it can also cause massive amounts of damage to your foundation, your drywall and even the wood in your home’s frame.
The easiest way to know how house insurance can cover you in case of flood damage is to contact one of our brokers at MBS Insurance Brokers Ltd. in Edmonton today. We can put together a comprehensive home insurance policy for you that’s tailored to your specific needs.