Dash cams have been around for a while but they’ve only recently gained widespread popularity. They have a solid reputation as a convenient way to record the moments leading up to an accident and video feeds of remarkable events captured by dash cams have been popping up all over the internet. But can they lower your car insurance rates? Keep reading to find out.
How do dash cams work?
Dash cams are mounted to your dashboard and wired into your car’s ignition. They’re set to start recording as soon as you turn on the ignition and stop recording when you turn the car off. The video feed is stored on the camera’s SD card.
With most dash cams, you can either face the camera towards the interior of your vehicle or towards the road, while dual-camera models capture both directions at once.
Pros and cons
Dash cams can be a fun tool to own but there are some pros and cons to having one. Let’s start with the pros.
- You can use your dash cam to record what’s happening on the road in front of you so you’ll have a video of all of the events leading up to an accident. This can be helpful when trying to prove who’s at fault.
- You can capture unexpected or unusual events like freak accidents, strange occurrences and rare animal sightings.
- You can use your dash cam to monitor the driving habits of young drivers that are still learning.
- Dash cams can make you more conscientious about your own driving because they’re recording everything you do.
- Some units come with GPS mapping for added security and convenience.
- The device may be a distraction if you are constantly adjusting the camera angle.
- They can be expensive to purchase.
- They work against you if it turns out an accident is your fault.
- They’re unlikely to save you any money off your monthly car insurance payments.
Dash cams and car insurance
Contrary to popular belief, installing a dash cam in your vehicle will not reduce the amount you pay for insurance in Edmonton. Car insurance rates are based on your age, driving history and a number of other factors.
When it comes to insurance, the main benefit of installing a dash cam is to provide evidence of fault. And having this evidence can make the claims process move a little faster.
For more information about dash cams or how to get the best car insurance rates in Edmonton, contact MBS Insurance Brokers without delay. From homeowners, commercial, or recreational insurance we offer a full range of insurance products to serve you better. Contact us today for a free quote.