Insurance is designed to protect your most valuable assets after your family – your home and vehicles. While insurance is great for protection against catastrophic losses like a fire, there is no policy that covers normal wear and tear. Maintenance is your primary concern because while there is no insurance protection against wear and tear, if that fire is caused by your neglect like not doing that maintenance, it may have far reaching and very expensive effects if it causes your policy to be voided.
At MBS Insurance Brokers Ltd., we assist you to identify, evaluate, and determine the best method to protect your most valued and treasured possessions. That’s why we’ve been Edmonton’s choice for automobile insurance, homeowners insurance, and more insurance products at the best prices possible since 1969. To keep your assets in top working order, and your insurance policy valid, here are a few suggestions for fall maintenance for your home, yard, and car.
Your home is one of your biggest investments and with winter just around the corner now is the time to get out and take care of those annual maintenance issues including:
- Servicing your furnace or heating system to enhance efficiency and lower heating costs, including changing your furnace filter and vacuum your air vents. Schedule a chimney cleaning from a certified chimney sweep.
- Have your roof covering inspected by a certified roofer, repairing any loose or missing shingles as needed. Clean rain gutters and drainage systems as blockages can lead to ice damming and extensive water damage.
- Check door and window seals, replacing or repairing weather stripping or caulking.
- Change and test smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
For your yard:
- Store or secure lawn furniture, drain garden hoses, and remove any lawn or patio obstructions for easier snow removal and safety.
- Turn off your exterior taps and drain any standing water including from underground sprinklers before the temperature drops to freezing to avoid a burst pipe and water damage. Hoses should be stored in the shed or garage for the fall and winter.
- Extend your downspouts at least four feet away from your house, as water drainage is a huge cause of basement water damage.
- Aerate your lawn, fertilize with a fall fertilizer, and cut your grass longer than usual to survive Edmonton’s winter.
For your car or truck:
- Inspect your battery, making sure the cables and terminals are snug, and retighten as necessary for good contact.
- Check your vehicles headlights, signals and braking lights.
- Install winter wiper blades, they typically need to be changed every 6 to 12 months.
- Check and top up all fluids – windshield, transmission, brake, engine coolant and oil.
- Tires need to be properly inflated, and preferably winter tires.
- Finally, give it a good cleaning, inside and out, followed by a protective polish.
Alberta winters can be long and unforgiving. By following these easy tips early in the fall you can save some money and some big headaches in the future. If you have questions about maintenance and insurance, contact MBS Insurance Brokers Ltd. at 780-436-7880 in Edmonton for superior insurance products customized to your unique needs at the best prices possible.