According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), a car is stolen every seven minutes. Furthermore, car theft costs Canadians a billion dollars per year. While completely eliminating the risk of having your car stolen is naturally impossible, here are some precautions you can take to hinder would-be thieves. Plus, we highlight some additional information about the rise in “high-tech” auto thefts.
Know Your Risk
Some cars are more likely to be stolen than others. According to the IBC, Ford pickup trucks make up a full 80% of the list of ten most common stolen vehicles. In particular, Ford F250 and F350 trucks built in the 2000s seem to be popular with car thieves. Lexus RX models as well as late 90s Honda Civics are also common targets. If you own one of these cars, consider getting personalized insurance coverage.
Regardless of your car’s make and model, here are some basic precautions to take.
- Never leave your car running while it’s unattended.
- Don’t leave your key inside and never hide a spare outside the car. Thieves know to look for magnetic boxes.
- Lock the doors and close the windows.
- Look for well-lit, busy parking lots. Only leave the attendant your car key.
- Install a theft deterrent like an antitheft system. Marked parts, blinking security lights and steering wheel locks are other options.
- Prevent tow truck theft by turning the steering wheel all the way to one side, locking it and engaging the handbrake when parking.
- Don’t attach a label with your name and address to your keychain.
- Move your valuables to the trunk before getting to your destination so nobody sees you hide your items.
- Don’t leave insurance and registration papers in the car; a thief could convince a police officer that they simply borrowed the vehicle
Beware of High-tech Theft
If you have an electronic key, know that it’s vulnerable to being duplicated. To prevent this from happening, carry it in a pouch that blocks radio frequency identification (RFID) signals. In addition, electronic keys can be cloned from the other side of a door, so don’t leave yours near the front door.
Secure the Right Coverage – Find Auto Insurance in Edmonton with MBS
Remember that theft isn’t typically covered by basic insurance policies. Comprehensive coverage is required to protect you from theft as well as a host of other risks, including damage caused by weather, fire and falling objects.
If you need auto insurance, MBS Insurance Brokers Ltd. has you covered. We can guide you through the process of finding a policy that meets your needs. Call us today for a quote or to learn more about the policies we offer.