It’s exciting to leave for a vacation, but you also want your home to be protected while you are gone. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, consider arranging for a house sitter to visit your property regular. If instead you opt to leave your home vacant, there are some precautions you can take to protect your property as best as possible from damage or theft.
Ways to Prepare a Few Weeks Before Your Trip
- Check your current Edmonton homeowners’ insurance policy for coverage to ensure it is adequate and up to date. Add any protections needed, including a personal articles floater to protect against possible theft.
- Arrange for snow removal or lawn mowing while you are away to keep up with home maintenance responsibilities.
- If you have an alarm system, notify the company of your travel plans. Provide them with your itinerary, your contact information and the names and phones numbers of anyone who may be caring for the home in your absence.
- Test the smoke detectors in your home so they are ready in the event of an emergency
Preparations in the Days Before You Leave
- Provide friends and neighbors with your itinerary and relevant phone numbers.
- Keep the phone number of the insurance company with you and your policy number in the event that you need to call or make a claim while you are away.
- Revise the greeting on your answering machine if necessary. Never leave a message saying that you are away, but rather that you are currently unavailable, as you don’t want callers to know the home is vacant.
- Never hide valuables, such as a house key under the mat, as they could be found by those they are not intended for. Jewelry and other valuables should be kept in a safety deposit box.
- Ask your neighbour to put the garbage out when you go and, later collect any cans, blue bins and green bins for you.
- Ensure that all appliances are turned off while you are away in the event that they breakdown while unattended.
- Check that all windows and doors are closed and locked.
Protecting Your Home While You Are Away
While you are away, it is important that you always carry a charged cell phone with you so friends and neighbors can be in touch if needed. As well, keep the phone numbers of these people with you in case you need to get in touch with them if there is an emergency or unexpected delay in your arrival.
Speak to a Broker About Your House Insurance Options in Edmonton
Before leaving on a trip, it is important to invest in a comprehensive house insurance policy from an Edmonton broker to protect you in the event of a loss or theft. If your home will be vacant for more than a few days, you may be required to purchase additional protection from your insurer during the vacant period. If you do need to make a claim while you are away, read more about the home insurance claims process for homes in Edmonton, Alberta.
At MBS Insurance Brokers Ltd., we can provide you with a house insurance quote for a comprehensive policy. We will work to find you the best policy available from the group of well-recognized insurance companies that we work with.
Contact us online today or at 780-436-7880 for more information about your options in Edmonton, Alberta.