Backyard parties are a blast, but only if no accidents occur! Indeed, barbecues, pools, fire pits and fireworks all pose very real risks, so it’s important that safety remains a priority during your summertime get-togethers.
Grilling is a great way of cooking all your favourite summer foods, but burns and fires need to be guarded against. Be sure to take these precautions:
- Teach your children not to touch grills.
- Create grill barriers or mark out a zone around the barbecue that’s off limits to kids.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or a bucket of sand nearby (never put out a grease fire with water, as this may cause it to spread).
If you have a pool in your yard, you need to have strict safety procedures tin place hat household members and guests need to follow. Some rules to adopt include:
- Children using the pool must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Children who can’t swim well should wear a life jacket or personal flotation device instead of relying on float toys like water wings and noodles to keep them afloat.
- Intoxicated individuals aren’t allowed in or near the pool.
- Your fire pit needs to be on level ground and at least 10 feet away from your house, fence, trees and other structures.
- Backyard fires should never be started with gasoline or kerosene, as doing so may lead to the fire quickly getting out of control. Use kindling and dry wood instead.
- Once you’ve extinguished the fire with water, stir and spread the ashes and don’t leave until all embers are completely out and cool to the touch.
To set off fireworks in Edmonton, you have to have a permit, be on a private rural property and ensure that there is no fire advisory or fire ban (during which lighting fireworks is prohibited). Moreover, you should take the following precautions:
- Follow the fireworks manufacturer’s instructions to the letter.
- Keep everyone at a safe distance, and back up immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that haven’t ignited fully.
Enjoy the Summer–Find The Perfect Homeowners Insurance in Edmonton!
At MBS Insurance Brokers, we know first-hand that accidents can occur when least expected, even during a relaxed summer barbecue. That’s why we encourage you to keep safety at the top of your mind. And it’s why we’re committed to helping you find a comprehensive insurance policy in Edmonton that protects you financially in the event of an accident. For more information about our services, contact us today.