Many people use their garage as a storage space and don’t spend much time thinking about how safe it is. However, it can be one of the most dangerous rooms in your home, and it’s crucial that you follow these five safety tips so that you can avoid fires, accidents and other dangerous issues.
- Check for electrical issues. Faulty wiring is often a problem in garages and can cause a fire. Such fires are particularly dangerous because they occur in a part of the house that typically houses flammable materials, causing them to spread quickly. Overloaded outlets are also a concern. Have an electrician check your wiring to make sure it’s not a fire hazard.
- Avoid clutter. It’s common for people to use their garage as a storage space, and it’s easy to keep piling things up without giving it much thought. However, the more clutter you have, the more likely it is that it’ll fall over and injure somebody. An organized and decluttered garage is much safer.
- Store flammable materials properly. Many of the products typically stored in garages are flammable, and a fire may start if they aren’t stored properly. Leaks may go unnoticed for a long time and then oil, gas solvents and other combustible substances may accidentally be ignited. Make sure everything is in a durable container. Propane tanks are also a common cause of fires and should never be stored indoors.
- Be wary of hazardous chemicals. Aside from flammable materials, many people keep cleaning products, fertilizers, paint and other potentially dangerous things in their garage. Again, proper storage is key.
- Eliminate tripping and slipping hazards. In addition to decluttering your garage, you need to make sure the floor doesn’t present a slipping or tripping hazard. For instance, water infiltration can leading to cracking in the floor, and oil, water and melted snow can pose a slipping hazard. Regularly cleaning and inspecting your floor is a good idea. You should also consider applying a special coating that can reduce the risk of slipping.
Insurance Experts in Edmonton
In addition to applying the tips above, it’s important that you make sure you’re covered for any potential accident. If you need to review your home insurance, come see us at MBS Insurance Brokers. We’re dedicated to helping our clients find the best coverage for their needs. Contact us today to make an appointment.