Protect Your Property BEFORE Disaster Strikes
Some simple tips you can use to protect yourself and your property...
TO PREVENT OR MINIMIZE WATER DAMAGE
- Install a sump pump
- Where bylaws allow, install backflow valves or plugs for drains, toilets and other sewer connections to prevent water from entering the home
- Keep floor drains clear of obstruction
- Elevate furnaces, hot water heaters and electrical panels in the basement on masonry or relocate these objects
- Store important documents and irreplaceable personal objects where they will not get damaged
- If you will be away from home for more than three days, arrange to have someone check on your property daily
- Use a rain barrel to catch water run-off
TO PREVENT OR MINIMIZE WIND DAMAGE
- Install impact resistant windows and/or storm shutters.
- Reinforce garage doors.
- Keep trees and shrubbery well-trimmed.
TO KEEP WATER IN PIPES FROM FREEZING
- Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves.
- Keep cabinet doors open during a cold spell to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep your attic floor well insulated.
- Create an inventory of your possessions and update it at least once a year. Visit www.ibc.ca to create your free home inventory.
- Buy tenant insurance, if you are a renter.